·00· 语境:这一篇的“不然呢”指只能这样了,不然还有别的选择吗。
今天几乎是else的专场,else副词,可以放在what, who, why, where, how后边,表示other, different, extra, “其他的,别的”。
·01· What else ...
不然还有别的选择吗?
A: You're going to wear this to the party?
你要穿这个去派对?
B: What else? It's the only down jacket I've got. It's freezing.
不然呢?我只有这件羽绒服。冻死我了。
A: You're studying on Friday night?
你周五晚上还要学习?
B: What else am I gonna do? The exam's on Monday, and I'm working all weekend. I've got no time.
不然呢?周一考试,我周末又要打工,没时间了。
·02· Where else...
不然还能是哪里?
A: Oh, you're at the office.
哦,你在办公室。
B: Where else would I be? It's Monday.
不然呢?今天周一。
A: You bought this souvenir in France?
这个纪念品你在法国买的?
B: Yeah, where else? I told you I went to Paris last week.
对啊,不然呢?我和你说了我上周去了巴黎。
·03· How else...
不然还能怎样呢?
A: You're working late? Again?
你要加班?又要加班啊?
B: How else am I supposed to finish the report? The deadline’s tomorrow, and I've barely started!
不然报告怎么写得完啊?明天截止了,我才刚开始写。
A: You're going to work and study at the same time?
你要一边打工一边上学啊?
B: Yep. How else am I gonna pay my tuition?
对,不然怎么付学费?
·04· Who else...
不然还有谁呢?
A: Are you really going to trust the intern with such an important task?
这么重要的任务你真的要交给实习生去做吗?
B: I guess I have to. I mean, who else can do it? Everyone is so busy.
估计只能这么这样了。我是说,不然还有谁能做?大家都很忙。
A: You want me to cook dinner?
你想让我做晚饭?
B: Yeah, who else? I have to pick up the kids.
对啊,不然谁做?我得去接孩子。
·05· Why else...
不然还有什么原因?
A: Why did people do such horrible things?
人为什么会做出这么可怕的事?
B: For money, obviously. Why else?
显然是为了钱。不然呢?
A: Why would he agree to work weekends?
他为什么同意周末来上班?
B: For the extra pay, of course. Why else? I heard he's saving up to buy an apartment.
当然是为了加班费啊,不然呢?我听说他在存钱买房。我们常说的“买房”一般是买那种一栋楼里边很多个的套间公寓,对应英语的flat(英),apartment(美)。买独栋的房子才叫buy a house。
·06· What do you think?
不然你以为呢。what do you think本身是在询问别人的看法,如果是用反问语气来说就是“你以为是什么呢?”
A: The boss wants to launch the new product by Friday. This Friday?
老板想在周五之前推出新产品。这周五啊?
B: What do you think? I wouldn't be working overtime all week if it were next Friday.
不然你以为呢?如果是下周五,我就不会整周都在加班了。
A: The kids' socks are torn! The socks we bought last week?
孩子们的袜子破了!是我们上周买的那些袜子?
B: What do you think? They were 1 yuan a pair. You get what you pay for.
不然你以为能穿多久?一块钱一双,一分钱一分货。
·07· What does it look like?
不然你觉得这看起来像什么?这个句子本来是询问“看起来是什么样子”,如果用反问的语气,就适用于当某件事看起来很明显,但是别人还要问你的语境。
比如说回家看到妈妈在拖地,你说“妈你在拖地吗?”妈妈说“我拿着拖把不是在拖地还能是在干嘛?”这句话就是what does it look like?
B在写作业,A凑过来问:
A: Are you really doing your homework?
你真的在写作业呀?
B: What does it look like? School starts tomorrow.
不然你以为我在干嘛?明天开学了。
B拎着垃圾在穿鞋,A看到了问:
A: Are you taking out the rubbish?
你要去倒垃圾吗?
B: What does it look like? Last night's leftovers stink! Honestly, how can you not smell it?
不然呢?昨晚的剩菜太臭了!讲真,你怎么会闻不到?leftovers复数名词,表示剩饭剩菜;stink/stɪŋk/动词,表示发出强烈的臭味。